Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ring Around the Rosie

I wear my grandma's wedding band everyday. Most days I wear it with one of two rings that my mom bought me. One is a ring she gave me for my 16th birthday. It's silver and antique looking with a purple stone.

Almost 20 years later, I love it as much as I did when I first got it. Maybe more. As the years go on, I realize how far I've come from the days when I spent hours fighting to wear make up and rushing to wash it off before my mom got home from work.

The other ring that I wear most often is again a silver banded ring with a brown stone, topaz maybe? I know the stones, but I know my mom's heart when she gave them to me.

Which brings us back to my grandma's wedding band. She passed away in 1994, just after Christmas,and she wore this wedding band for 49 years. It was truly one of those marriages that lasted till death do us part. The next Christmas, I was home helping decorate the tree as was tradition, and my mom gave me grandma's wedding band.

My mom has her engagement ring, and her wedding band is my treasure to behold.

It makes me feel good every morning when I put these rings on. Like the bond is forever between my grandma, my mom, and me. And the funny part?

My grandma had tiny fingers too. Her ring fit without any sizing.

And should I ever marry, I've got my perfect something old to walk down the aisle.

No comments: