Thursday, October 11, 2007

Going Home

Last weekend I headed up to Lake Leelanau to spend the weekend with my mom for her birthday.

On our agenda? A Bobby Bare concert. For those of you who don't know, Bobby Bare is an old country singer from the 60's and 70's, who sang a lot of sad songs, some funny, and always entertaining.

For me, my reaction to Bobby is a mixed one. It first reminds me of growing up in our old farm house on Cedar Island Road, behind Lakeland High School. My parents were still married, we had a record player and my dad used to listen to Bobby Bare. Loud.

Later, after the divorce I used to listen to the old records, maybe trying to recapture some of that time, and my favorite Bobby Bare song, is called Cowboys and Daddies.

It was about a divorce and a dad that took the kids for picnics on Sunday afternoons.

At the concert, the 5th row center was left open, so my mom and I snuck up and got a really close view of Mr. Bare, who is dressed in head to toe denim.

There is something truly authentic about those old country guys. They're not flashy like the new people, but they just seem humble, honest and after all these years, all they care about is singing a few songs and going home to their family.

I was glad I finally met the man who provided my childhood with a soundtrack full of memories.

No comments: