Wednesday, April 12, 2006

My Casa in a Hospa

My dad has been in the VA Hospital in Ann Arbor, for the past week and a half.

He is an infection that I can't remember the name of, that was caused by a complication from his chemo treatments. Can't the man catch a break?

My family and myself were really starting to get concerned, because it didn't look like my dad was improving. But I talked to his nurse the other day, and she said this type of infection takes a long time to get rid of it.

So, we're trying to think good thoughts, and visit the hospital, as much as possible. And even as sick as my dad is, he still treats his company well. Offering drinks in the form of apple juice in a box, or trying to get my cousin Shannon to take home the good medical tape so she can give it to her daughters for arts and crafts.

I've put a Bettie Page pin up poster in his room, compliments of Shannon, and I brought roses to brighten the room. Anything to make it seem less sterile and clinical.

Hopefully, my dad can come home soon. It's much nicer visiting him in Keego Harbor, where he offers chicken salad for me to take home, and when I point out that I don't have a container, he doesn't think there's anything strange about putting a big scoop of chicken salad into a ball of plastic wrap and calling it a day.

No comments: