Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Accentuate the Positive

By our very nature, Irish people are not overly cheerful or able to find the "positive" in an otherwise not so positive situation. Instead we are more likely to make a joke about whatever is shitty.

And today, I found myself needing some positive reinforcement regarding this whole roller coaster of diet and exercising.

In that spirit, I'm going to make a list of things that have changed for the better, since my journey began. And it's not because I want to vomit sunshine on any one, but more because I just don't want to turn to making myself vomit.

1. I have more energy since joining and going to the gym. Sure, I'm tired when I get there but when I leave, I've never once said, Boy, I wish I would have stayed home and ate donuts." I might have wanted to, but the point is, I didn't.

2. I'm no longer addicted to that chemical sugared coffee cream that I had every day in 3 different flavors as a staple in my refrigerator.

3. My chin is as single as me.

4. I stopped eating 100 calorie packs of everything. I learned that for me personally, it's just not a good idea. If I really want a treat, I'm better off eating a small part of the full-fat version. In the end it tastes better and I eat less of it because my craving for it is being satisfied.

5. My pants are either getting loose or too big all together. I've dropped one size so far.

6. I've lost 12 pounds so far. It's taking me a really long time, but I haven't given up. I press on. And I will keep going till I'm where I want to be.

7. I'm starting to see the light blinking from really far away at the end of the tunnel.

8. My dad is really sick but I haven't turned to carrot cake on a regular basis.

9. Sugared cereals is something I really loved and still do, but I don't let myself by it anymore either. It's too addicting for me.

10. Lifting Weights: Part of my routine has included weights and I can tell that I'm becoming physically stronger. I was able to pull myself out of deep water onto a jet ski using my upper body strength a month or so ago.

This list may not resonate with anyone but me, but at least I'll have a record now of what I'm doing right, instead of beating myself up for things I'm doing wrong.

No comments: