Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Assorted Pack

Dogs run up to me on the street
straining on their leash
Instinctively knowing that I can’t wait
to pet them or rub behind their ears.


My dad was a Marine during the Vietnam War.
And a loner.
But when he was sick with cancer
I moved in.
Fed him, washed his laundry and kept him company.
I’m not a nurse.


I’ve had the same best friend since we were six.
She came up to me in her Dorothy Hamill haircut
And asked me to play on the swings.
Recently she asked me to be in her delivery room,
I was there
24 hours.
She had a boy.


I’ve worked in automotive advertising for years.
I don’t like cars.


I believe in love, but I'm not sure if the romantic kind believes in me.

Sometimes I don't want to learn a lesson.

I was always picked last in gym.
That's not picked at all.

No comments: