Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cool Hand Indeed



Butch: You know, when I was a kid, I always thought I'd grow up to be a hero.
Sundance Kid: Well, it's too late now.
Butch Cassidy: What'd you say that for? You didn't have to say something like that.


I was at a post funeral luncheon at the Elks club for my Uncle Joe when I learned about the death of Paul Newman. And even though we never met, I loved him.

I was first introduced to Paul Newman shortly after my parents divorced. My dad took me and my brothers on Sundays. And what do you do, with three kids? Watch Paul Newman movies of course. He was a man's man. And a woman's man. One look at him in his heyday and that's pretty clear.

But what I love about him, had little to do with his good looks. I loved to watch him act. He's one of the great ones. Able to act in a character role, and his adherence to privacy allowed the movie viewer to believe whatever role he was immersed in. Even in roles like Hud, where the main character was let's face it, a bastard, when played by Paul Newman, he was still like able.

And in an age where Hollywood marriages last about as long as a trip to the local drive thru, it was amazing he was married to the same woman for 50 years.

Long before charity seemed like a publicity stunt, he decided to give back and never sought out publicity unless it was benefiting other people.

An amazing actor and a great philanthropist, he will be missed. He represented all that was good in the world and we are all better for having him in it.
Butch Cassidy: Then you jump first.
Sundance Kid: No, I said.
Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
Butch Cassidy: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget his Vodka spaghetti sauce...it's magical.

I think my favorite of his roles was Cool Hand Luke - he should've been a Quinlan.

I'm sorry you had to find out during Uncle Joe's funeral. That was an awful lot of sadness to concentrate in one day.