Thursday, February 26, 2009

Rose's Glasses

It isn't often that you can actually type:

"My life is going to change." But today I can type it and mean.

Tomorrow morning, I'm getting Lasik eye surgery. So what does that mean?

Well, it means that the glasses I've had since I was in the 5th grade are going to obselete. My first pair, I remember having a blueish pink tint, and my mom wanted to make them pretty for me, so we picked out little gold stickers. A KQ to stick in the corner of my glasses.

Sure wish I had a picture of that. My glasses that I have now are simple wire framed, slightly cat eye-ish and have suited my needs just fine for the small amount of time I actually wear them, which was usually as little as possible.

Glasses made me feel ugly and nerdy. Not smart. I know I'm smart, but that didn't mean I wanted to put glasses on my face to prove a point.

When I started high school, I was horribly shy and insecure. My mom took pity on me and allowed me to get my first pair of contacts.

This was long before the disposal trend, and so contacts were to be treated like gold coins. Not like paper cups. And I was fairly responsible, but I was still 14.

And often dropped them in the morning when putting them on. I'd have to wake my mom up and she'd help me hunt for them while grumbling about it. But hey, at least she helped.

Tomorrow I'm facing a new frontier. One where I'll never again have to blindly stare at my alarm clock, haulcinate that there's a man on my neighbor's roof, or wear lenses that I'd accidently soaked all night in my mom's homemade face cream.

No more "faking it" at the eye doctor, or trying to discern was 1 really bettter than 2 or is that P actually an R?

Oh and the next time I go to the renew my driver's license, I'll be able to uncheck the box that says corrective lens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, let me know how it goes! I have terrible eyesight but am still too scared to have the corrective surgery, although I think about it more and more. Good luck, and update us!