Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Pulp Fiction

Do you have one of those movies that changed you? As you watched it for the first time, you were awestruck and going to that movie actually meant something? And years later even when you just hear the soundtrack you're immediately taken back to a specific time period?

Pulp Fiction is that movie. It came out in 1994. I saw it in the summer time. I was 21 or 22 at the time, and I had never seen anything like it in my life. I loved all of it.

The great dialogue, the music, the quirky characters, and even the insane over the top violence was part of the fun. I actually felt very sad when John Travolta's character Vincent Vega was killed. I loved Bruce Willis. Samual Jackson. They all brought humanity and humor to people we probably weren't supposed to like.

And movie audiences rooted for Quentin Taratino, an under-dog who brought back some actors and with his passion, made them relevant again. I found it to be one of those movies that polarized people. You either loved it or hated it. There wasn't any middle ground with this one.

That summer, I felt free. Had a summer job, but my main job seemed to be hanging out with my friends, drinking bar hopping and barbequing.

I haven't had that sense of complete freedom in a long time, but thanks to the soundtrack of the movie, I'm immediately transported back to that summer when anything was possible.

Before cancer, before all my friends had babies, before I worked in advertising, before I cared about working out, before college was over, before wars, before grad school in Atlanta, and before I really knew how important that summer, that movie, that time would be.

No comments: