Monday, January 22, 2007

Life Comes In

There is death and there is life. Big newsflash right? Well, having been to both a funeral and a birth, I'd much prefer the new life being born.

Last Thursday, my oldest friend, had a baby. A beautiful son named Harrison. I was an emotional wreck. I kept crying. Tears of joy, I'm sure, but it was very powerful to see my friend whom I've known since I was 6 have a child of her own.

It was amazing really. She was so brave. I was honored she wanted me in the room.
She'd asked me and her sister to leave when the actual delivery was about to take place, but this I can understand. Still, I was there all night and got to hold him two hours after he was born.

And again yesterday. C. called me and asked me to come and see her and the baby. They were all doing pretty good. I held him for a long time, and he slept and slept.

I don't think there is anything more peaceful than holding and cuddling a sleeping baby. I'm Aunt Kelly to the new baby. My second child, while not offical. It doesn't get much closer than knowing someone for almost 30 years.

My other little girl is my friend K's daughter. She is almost 2 and learned to say my name recently. That melted my heart too.

The funny thing is that I'm not one of those women who runs to hold other people's kids or automatically wants to hold your child. But if you're a true friend of mine, I seem to feel differently. I want to babysit them, help take care of them, and be there for you.

And that's what Aunts are for.

No comments: