Monday, August 06, 2007

Super Stupid

Matt Damon is my super spy super hero.

Ok, so maybe that's a little much. But I did really enjoy the Bourne Ultimatum. I just hope they don't muck it up with anymore movies, because the story is has been told and completed.

Yes, there were still some unanswered questions, but that's the point really. It's one movie franchise that refuses to dumb down its content. That's my biggest complaint about a lot of movies and my job for that matter.

As to not offend and to make everything so idiot proof that there isn't any conclusion for you to draw on your own, well its making America even more stupid.

Does it really matter that every movie, tv commercial and book won't appeal to a mass audience? Isn't that the point? Create something that a certain segment will really love, and if others find it, great.

But the second we dumb everything down, we've lost the fight. It's the same culture that is now suggesting that every kid should get a trophy on the sports teams. The we are all winners mentality.

Actually, we're not. And you know what? That's good. If you find out like I did at a young age, sports wasn't really my forte, it made me focus my energy on other things like writing.

Maybe I was picked last for kick ball but I won a ribbon for a story in the first grade at the school fair. Am I scarred for life?

No. Because I know where my strengths lie and I'm using those to my advantage.

In my opinion, we just need to stop coddling to the lowest common denominator. We're not doing ourselves any favors.

And there's a reason why there is life outside a Super Walmart....

No comments: